Mt. Pleasant Post Masters 1833 – 1963
19 Feb 1833 – 1 Apr 1835 – Daniel Walker (Walker’s Store PO)
2 Apr 1835 – 9 Jan 1842 – John O. Wallace (Mt. Comfort PO)
10 Jan 1842 – 30 Apr 1844 – Michael Cook (Mt. Comfort PO)
1 May 1844 – 9 Jun 1847 – Charles A. Misenheimer (Mt. Comfort PO)
10 Jun 1847 – 26 Jan 1853 – Monroe Melchor (Name changed to Mt. Pleasant PO on 27 Mar 1848)
27 Jan 1853 – 17 Dec 1857 – Paul B. C. Smith
18 Dec 1857 – 5 Jul 1861 – Alexander Foil
6 Jul 1861 – Apr 1865 – Alexander Foil (CSA)
23 Mar 1866 – 6 Oct 1868 – Lizzie A. Lefler
7 Oct 1868 – 16 Jul 1873 – Philip Greening (Husband of Lizzie Lefler)
17 Jul 1873 – 1 Jul 1875 – Alexander Foil
2 Jul 1875 – 9 Oct 1882 – Jonas Cook
10 Oct 1882 – 2 Aug 1885 – William R. Kindley
3 Aug 1885 – 26 Apr 1889 – Jonas Cook
27 Apr 1889 – 24 May 1893 – Moses L. Buchanan
25 May 1893 – 20 May 1897 – Jonas Cook
21 May 1897 – 22 Sep 1905 – William R. Kindley
23 Sep 1905 – 18 Dec 1913 – Archibald W. Moose
19 Dec 1913 – 4 Jan 1922 – John B. McAllister
5 Jan 1922 – 18 Jan 1925 – Fred Herrin
19 Jan 1925 – 15 Jul 1933 – Edith V. Moose
16 Jul 1933 – 31 Aug 1940 – Karl M. Cook
1 Sep 1940 – 30 Dec 1951 – Harry E. Hahn
31 Dec 1951 – 31 Jan 1963 – Lawson A. Foil
1 Feb 1963 – – David E. Hough

An 1879 listing of “Manufacturers” in Cabarrus Co. showed the following businesses located in Township #8.
Flour & Grist Mills
D. M. Miller
Reed & Kindley
C. D. Barringer
Peacock & Co.
Tanning and Shoes
W. D. Shoemaker
E. D. Lentz
Other manufacturing businesses included
Skeen & Eudy – Blacksmith
James Lefler – Blacksmith
Jesse Hathcock – Wheelwright
William Elliott – Carriage Maker/Wheelwright
William Kindley – Cotton & Machinery
W. D. Shoemaker – Boots
Hartsell & Lentz – Harness/Saddles

Privilege Licenses issued for the Town of Mt. Pleasant from 1881-1884 listed the following businesses in the Town
McAllister & Co. – Druggist
G. R. P. Miller – Merchant
Kindley, Tucker & Reed – Merchants
Cox & Furr – Merchants
Kindley, Tucker & Reed – Merchants
C. P. Cox & Co. – Merchants
J. W. Moose – Druggist
George Hagler – Merchant

Tuscarora Cotton Mill was chartered on 5 Sep 1899. Charter members of the Board of Directors were J. W. Cannon, Paul Barringer, D. D. Barrier, J. P. Efird, Jonas Cook, M. A. Foil, &  A. N. James. The first meeting of Stockholders was held on 19 Sep 1899 at the Cook & Foil store room in Mt. Pleasant,
Shareholders were:
Cook & Foil 80 shares               W. W. Dry 5 shares
J. W. Cannon 50 shares            J. W. Cline 4 shares
A. N. James 20 shares              Wm. H. Fisher 3 shares
Paul Barringer 10 shares          A. W. Moose 2 shares
M. C. A. Foil 15 shares              A. M. Nussman  2 shares
C. D. Barringer 10 shares          J. L. C. Miller 2 shares
L. J. Foil 10 shares                    Geo. Moose 2 shares
P. J. Kluttz 10 shares                 J. B. McAllister 2 shares
Chambers 10 shares                 H. T. J. Ludwig 2 shares
J. P. Efird 10 shares                   Ellen Bangle 2 shares
Mrs. C. Shimpock 6 shares       C. T. James 2 shares
D. D. Barrier 5 shares
W. R. Kindley 5 shares
C. G. Heilig 5 shares
H. D. Smith 5 shares
Mrs. P. J. Kluttz 5 shares
R. W. Misenheimer 5 shares
R. F. Cline 5 shares
(See Eastern Cabarrus History p. 35 by George Hahn for the original transcript of the formation of Tuscarora Mill)

Property Owners on Franklin St. (1923) at the time the street was first paved.
A. W. Moose 112 (Street frontage in feet)
?. J. Eudy 103
W. Fred Cox 74
H. E Foil/D. E. Foil 313
A. M. Nussman 215
Lawson Herrin 68
T. S. Fisher 1?0
L. E. Foil 310
J. A. Smith 115
Barringer Garage/P. A. Barringer 40
Tuscarora Cotton Mill/P. A. Barringer, Sec. 400
Thomas E. Barnhardt 60
George A. Boger 62
J. B. McAllister 104
C. G. Heilig 316
J. S. Kindley 215
E. M. Dry 105
Paul A. Moose 70
J. F. Lowder 119
W. S. Hartsell 272
J. O. Herrin 78
W. T. Hahn 213
Mrs. W. J. Moose 119
C. M. Crowell 140
M. J. Goodman 62
Miss Emma Fisher 123
Mrs. Ida Smith 74
M. A. Ritchie 75

Property Owners on Main St. (1924) when street was first paved.
A. N. James 578                              H. S. Ritchie (Adm) 196
J. J. Bunn 59                                    G. F. McAllister 159
M. C. Barringer 301                         Mrs. M. A. Barringer 202
A. M. Allman 300                             L. A. Lipe 423
James L. Lefler 119                         W. V. Bright 90
M. E. Herrin 113                               A. W. Fisher (W. H. Fisher Est) 133
J. H. C. Fisher 342                           J. L. C. Miller 95
Charles H. Thayer 131                    Ora Fisher McEachern 90
Mrs. M. M. Litaker 114                    N. R. Richardson 255
Mrs. M. E. Welch 94                        S. C. Kluttz 114
S. T. Seaford 98                               D. L. Lipe 106
K. M. Cook 1069                              Mrs. T. L. Heilig 95
W. G. H. Barringer 111                     G. W. Blackwelder 314
O. A. Barringer 120                          Sarah Misenheimer 120
Mrs. J. J. Bunn                                 H. E. Foil 1?4
P. B. Foil 91                                      Lula K. Fisher (C. H. Fisher Est) 192
W. D. Foil 93                                     Mrs. L. S. Shirey (Jonas Cook Est)
N. B. McCanless 73
A. W. Moose 219
M. D. Kluttz 95
Mrs. J. B. McAllister 92
D. H. McEachern 108
J. A. Harwood 130
D. D. Barrier 130
L. E & H. E. Foil 240

Contributors to McAllister School (1937)
Paul Foil $25                     Gilbert Heilig $50
L. H. Barringer $50           Hoy A. Moose $25
E. T. Bost, Jr. $25              Brown McAllister $10
Farry Hahn $10                 Rev. J. W. Link $10
C. M. Crowell $25             Tuscarora Cotton Mill $75
C. A. Cannon $25              Dr. M. A. Foil $10
George Nussman $25       Horace Foil $10
Lee Foil $15                        Z. J. Eudy $10
J. B. McAllister $10           M. C. Barringer $10
Fred Cox $10                     Geo. W. McAllister $10
O. A. Barringer $25            A. W. Fisher
C. Frank James $10          Dr. A. L. Barringer $ 5
G. R. Blackwelder $ 5        Archie Fisher $ 2
B. A. Harvell $ 1                  Hal Rogers $ .50
E. M. Dry $ 2                       Woman’s Club $30.31
Tom Fink $ 1                       Paul Fisher $ 1
J. A. Smith $ 5                    Jno Herion $ 5
Rev. J. W. Link $ 5              L. H. Barringer $10
E. T. Bost, Jr. $25                Henry Lee Fisher $ 5
Henry Boger $ 5                  Dr. A. L. Barringer $ 5
Dr. J. J. Bunn $ 2                 H. J. McAllister $ 2
Ben McAllister $ .50            Horace Foil $ 1
Fred Cox $ 1                         Lee McAllister $10
A. N. James $25                  Roy Webster $ 5
Frank Hopkins $ 2               Herman Watts $ 2
Howard M. Barrier $ 1         Mrs. Joe Haines $ 2
K. M. Cook $ 5 Mrs.            Jno Kindley $ 2
M. R. McCloud $ 3                L. B. Barrier $ 5
J. A. Cauble $10                   C. A. Barringer $ 5
D. D. Barrier $25                   Miss Lilly & Guss Ludwig  $25
S. R. McEachern $ 5 (for Prof Sid Ludwig)
Ben Robinson $ 1
TOTAL $767.31
Ritchies Land $500
D. D. Barrier Land $175
Reece Long Survey $ 20
Work on Grounds $ 39.85
Door Mats $ 5
Amount to Collect $ 6
Balance On Hand $ 21.46

Data concerning locations considered as possible sites for the Mt. Pleasant Elementary School. [From a recently located document found in the Eastern Cabarrus Historical Society Library. The author is unknown.]
The school was constructed in 1938 to serve students within the Mt. Pleasant Town limits in grades 1-7. Students in the 8th grade and above attended the county school located just outside the northern town limits of Mt. Pleasant. The school was named McAllister School in honor of the late George F. McAllister, former Principal of Mt. Pleasant Collegiate Institute.

No. 1 — The Ritchie Lot – This is a lot on the west side of North Main Street, rather centrally located and easily accessible to the school population. It is favorably situated with reference to city water and sewer lines.
It is, perhaps the most satisfactory site, all things considered for a new building. By purchasing 115 feet frontage, leaving 75 feet frontage for the Ritchie residence, and full depth of approximately 220 feet for the 115 feet frontage, and 525 depth for the part in the rear of the Ritchie residence lot, a good unobstructed view of the school building would be secured for all time. This would give an acreage of approximately 3 1/3 acres. There would be sufficient space in front of the school building and the street for recreation purposes and a small park. The rear of the lot would join a Town Park which would affort further recreation space for the school children. This lot as described can be purchased from Mr. H. S. Ritchie who has virtual control of the same for the sum of $1700. This is regarded by Mt. Pleasant citizens as a fair price. If additional land should be desired, adjoining the above lot on the North, Mr. D. D. Barrier has proposed to sell same at the rate of $125 per acre. [This was the site eventually selected for the school.]
No. 2 — The M. C. Barringer Lot – This is a lot on the west side of South Main Street between the Ludwig home and the Lutheran Church. While the frontage is scarcely as much as desirable, it is wider in the rear and would make a good location for the school. Upon investigation, it has been found that this lot is not for sale. [Present location of the Post Office.]
No. 3 — The Seminary Campus and Buildings – This is an ideal site of 6.8 acres, easily accessible to the school population to be served. The building was erected as a dormitory and administration building for a girls Boarding School. It is a substantial building of semi-fireproof brick construction. Besides a goodly amount of free labor and material, this building cost is in excess of $30,000 in 1912, when building was less expensive that it is now. It has eight entrances — two on the front, two at the rear, and two at either end. Half of these entrances are on the ground or basement floor and half by stairways to the first floor. This arrangement was considered at the time of creation to afford ample provision for safety, in the event of a fire, and passed the scrunity of the State Board. Besides a large space on the ground floor which could be utilized for manual arts or kindred purposes, there is a kitchen, large dining room, storage room, and four or more other rooms of good size. On the first floor proper, there is an auditorium wuth a seating capacity of approximately 300. This could be enlarged by the removal of partitions and throwing two adjoining rooms into the present auditorium, which would increase the seating capacity possibly 1/3. On this floor are a number of rooms large enough for standard classrooms. There are other domitory rooms which could be made suitable for class rooms by the removal of partitions and cutting windows double width. On the second floor there would be rooms for special departments and other class rooms if needed. On the third floor which covers only the middle of the building, are rooms which could be used by teachers, if desired. It is believed that at a reasonable cost this building could be altered and made to serve admirably the purpose of the school. The grounds are ample and attractive. The building is easily seen from South Main Street and also from the east, coming in from toward Albemarle. Its selection would meet the approval of interested citizens to a remarkable degree. Considerable improvement has been made on this property since the present owners came into possession of it. As showing their desire to cooperate and in order to contribute to a satisfactory solution of the school question which has been “hanging fire” so long, the owners are willing to sell the Seminary property, grounds and building for sell than one-third of its cost and less than the owners have invested in it, namely for $10,000.
Lot IV — The South Side of the Seminary Campus – This was looked over and considered as a very satisfactory site. However, the owners feel that disposing of this would detract so much from the sale of the Seminary building that the price they would have to ask might seem exorbitant to the Board. Therefore, they preferred not to make a price on this part of the campus, but rather to make the price of the entire property so reasonable as to encourage the purchase of the entire property, in the event the Board concurred in the view that the building could be altered to suit their purpose.
Lot V — The Allman-James Lot – This is a lot on the west side of South Main Street, just below A. M. Allman’s home site. Mr. Allman owns about an acre. For this he feels he should have $500. Mr. James would expect a like price (for) land adjoining. This lot is thought to be rather too much to one side of the town.
Lot VI — The Beaver Lot – This is a lot on the south side of West Franklin Street just across the street from James Smith’s garage. It has frontage of about 131 feet and a depth of 450 feet. There is a residence and a barn on the lot from which several hundred dollars might be realized if torn down. This lot is readily accessible to school children and is located at a place where the school building would be seen by more people, perhaps, that it would be on either of the other lots mentioned. There would be ample play ground in the rear of the building. It is not quite as centrally located as the other lots, excepting the Allman-James lot, to the school population. This property can be purchased for $2000. [The present location of Fifth/Third Bank and What-A-Burger.]
From these five possible sites it is believed that a fine selection may be made, affording quite a suitable location for a school – one that will be highly satisfactory to the people to be served. Each of the fine lots mentioned is conveniently located with reference to city water and sewer lines and sewer connections have already been made in the case of the Seminary property.